A peaceful, picturesque city in central Solano County, CA, Suisun is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts and those who want to live near the water. Home to around 29,000 people, Suisun City boasts 300 days of sunshine, serene neighborhoods, a waterfront location, and direct access to the wild beauty of the 84,000-acre Suisun Marsh.
Suisun was established in the 1850s and is named after the nearby marsh and bay. It quickly became a hub for commerce and transportation and for many years served as an important stop for goods and people traveling to and from the rest of the San Francisco Bay Area.
Today, Suisun is a tranquil community with an inviting, small-town feel. Less than an hour from both San Francisco and Sacramento, this harbor town is also just a short, scenic drive to Napa Valley. The city can be accessed from California State Route 12, Interstate 80, and Interstate 680.
Real estate and property types in Suisun, CA
Suisun’s residential real estate market features spacious, single-family homes that have an average of 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. These homes come in a variety of architectural styles from classic ranch to Spanish/Mediterranean-inspired to Contemporary neo-eclectic. You’ll also find homes that are within walking distance to the Suisun City Marina.
Notable neighborhoods in Suisun include:
- Dover Terrace North
- Heritage Park North
- Lawler Ranch-Anderson
- Lawler Ranch West
- McCoy Creek North
- Old Town
- Peterson Ranch
- Quail Glen North
- Victorian Harbor
- Whispering Bay
Schools and top employers in Suisun, CA
Suisun is served by the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District.
Public schools in and around the area include:
- Dan O. Root Elementary School
- Suisun Elementary School
- Crescent Elementary School
- Crystal Middle School
- Armijo High School
- Sheldon Academy of Innovative Learning
Meanwhile, the top employers in and around the area are:
- The City of Suisun
- Travis Air Force Base
- Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
- Kaiser Permanente Vallejo Medical Center
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
- Anheuser-Busch ( border within Fairfield, Suisun and Rancho Solano, Browns Valley)
- NorthBay Hospital
- NorthBay Medical Center
- NorthBay Health Care
Things to do
- Due to the numerous nature reserves and wildlife areas in and around Suisun, residents are fans of the great outdoors. They are often out biking, hiking, fishing, kayaking, boating, and bird watching. Suisun is the ideal jump-off point for exploring the Suisun Marsh, Grizzly Island, the Peytonia Slough Ecological Reserve, and more.
- Located along the picturesque Suisun Slough, Downtown Suisun’s historic Waterfront District offers a wide variety of recreational opportunities, as well as shopping and dining options. The district also hosts a number of exciting events such as the Waterfront Festival, Independence Day celebration, Christmas in Old Town, and many more.
- Suisun City is home to nine wonderful neighborhood and community parks. One of the largest is Heritage Park, a 10-acre outdoor recreational area with a playground, basketball court, lighted ball field, walking trail, and picnic tables.
- Encompassing more than 2,000 acres, Rush Ranch is part of the San Francisco Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve. The working ranch supports hundreds of species of plants, mammals, and birds and has long attracted hikers and birders.
If you’re looking for excellent schools, exciting outdoor activities, and a vibrant downtown area, Suisun is the perfect city for you. Learn more about Suisun City real estate by contacting the Plata Realty Group, Inc. at (707) 628-3685 or JPlata(at)PlataRealtyGroup(dotted)com.